Here’s some help on how to create your content marketing strategy. You need to start with the reason for your content marketing. What is the purpose of your content? Who are you helping? As well as how you will help them in a way no one else can. Businesses often use content marketing to build an audience and to achieve at least one of these results:
- Increased revenue
- lower costs
- Find better customers
Your content marketing plan
Your content marketing plan should be very tactical. It must document the specifics of how you will execute your strategy. It’s important to understand that you need a content marketing strategy BEFORE you build your content plan. It’s a marketing plan that specifically relates to content and it should include:
- The key topic areas you will cover
- What content you will create
- When and how to share your content
- And specific calls to action
Why documenting your strategy is important?
With a documented content marketing strategy you will become more effective in the process of content marketing. It will help you understand the use of all content marketing tactics and social media channels. It allows you to gain a better perspective of why and how you are doing things.
What to include in your content marketing strategy?
Your content marketing strategy outlines your key business and customer needs. It details how you will use content to address them. Your content plan should be unique to your business. Here are some components that you should include:
Your audience personas:
- Describe the specific audiences for whom you will create content. What are their needs, and what their content engagement cycle might look like.
Your brand story:
- Your business has its own important story. Describe your content marketing in terms of what ideas and messages you want to communicate from that story. How do the messages differ from the competition?
Your channel plan:
- What platforms are best for your business. Where is your audience and where do they get their information from; LinkedIn, Facebook Instagram and so on. Include the platforms you will use to tell your story; what your criteria, processes, and objectives are for each one.
Measurement and metrics
This could be:
- Increase website traffic
- Add to the sales pipeline marketing-qualified leads per year
- Generate revenue
We all know that it is hard to put plans together. That’s why a simple one-page plan should be enough for you to understand why, what and how you want to achieve your content marketing goals.
Remember! A good story lasts years. Start telling yours!
Good luck with your content Marketing.